Blue Plaque unveiled to composer John Marsh
On Sunday 8 July a Salisbury Civic Society blue plaque to John Marsh was unveiled above the entrance to Myddleton & Major’s offices at 49 High Street, one of his former homes in Salisbury. John Marsh (1752-1828) was a notable English composer, instrumentalist, philanthropist, writer and diarist, who composed his first 14 symphonies in Salisbury and whose career was shaped by the city.
The unveiling was performed by Brian Robins, editor of Marsh’s journals, who spoke warmly about the influence of Salisbury, one of the leading musical centres in the country at that time, on Marsh’s music and his formative years in the city.
The unveiling, attended by Councillor Mike Osment Mayor of Salisbury and Nikki Savage the Mayoress, was preceded by a concert of three of Marsh’s symphonies in the Guildhall performed by Salisbury Baroque. The symphonies were all composed and performed first here in Salisbury.
Accompanying Photograph outside Myddleton & Major: left to right Peter Dunbar (chair SCS), Dame Rosemary Spencer (President SCS), Nikki Savage (Mayoress), Mike Osment (Mayor), Brian Robins (editor of Marsh’s journals).