The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) applies to use of your data by Salisbury Civic Society (SCS), and the way in which we collect and disclose it. To find out more about your rights under this Act, visit the Information Commissioner’s website: https://www.ico.org.uk/
This document provides you with information about how SCS are handling, or are intending to handle, your personal information. If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us.
SCS was founded in 1960 as a community-based organisation, made up of a group of volunteers carrying out activities and campaigns that improve the environment and enrich our quality of life in Salisbury and South Wiltshire. We host meetings and forums to stimulate debate, providing information through publications and social media. We monitor and comment on local planning applications and development proposals and run a prestigious annual awards scheme for new buildings and conservation projects.We also organise lectures and walks on the area’s rich cultural and architectural heritage, and maintain a programme of commissioning historical blue plaques.
SCS is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and complying with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation. This notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Collection of personal data
SCS may collect and process information about you that you provide when you register with it as a member, or when you renew membership, or when you apply to participate in any of the Society’s activities.
Personal data held
Personal data we hold includes the name, postal address, email address and telephone numbers (mobile and/or landline) of members and non-members who attend or have attended events organised by the Society. We use your personal data for the following purposes:
• To enable us to provide a voluntary service for the benefit of the public in the geographical area specified in our constitution
• To administer membership records
• To fundraise and promote the interests of SCS
• To maintain our own accounts and records (including the processing of gift aid applications)
• To inform you of news, events, activities and other services to members, by mail, email, phone, social media (such as Facebook and Twitter) and the SCS website http://www.salisburycivicsociety.org.uk/
Membership data is held by the SCS Secretary and is stored in an Excel spreadsheet format with regular backups to cloud-based storage. Direct access to this data is only permitted to selected SCS Trustees. SCS will not pass your personal details on to other organisations or share them with other individuals who are not members of an SCS Committee.
Data retention period
We will hold information about you in our data systems only for as long as we need it for the purpose for which we collected it. If you have not renewed your membership for three years your data will be removed from our membership database.
If you would like to review or revise information you have previously provided to us online or via an app or in writing, you can do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to the SCS Secretary at the address below.
The law on data protection gives you certain rights in relation to the data we hold on you. These are:
• The right to be informed This means that we must tell you how we use your data, and this is the purpose of this privacy notice
• The right of access You have the right to access the data that we hold on you. To do so, you should make a subject access request via the email or address below
• The right for any inaccuracies to be corrected If any data that we hold about you is incomplete or inaccurate, you can require us to correct it
• The right to have information deleted If you would like us to stop processing your data, you have the right to ask us to delete it from our systems where you believe there is no reason for us to continue processing it
• The right to restrict the processing of the data For example, if you believe the data we hold is incorrect, we will stop processing the data (whilst still holding it) until we have ensured that the data is correct
• The right to portability You may transfer the data that we hold on you for your own purposes
• The right to object to the inclusion of any information You have the right to object to the way we use your data where we are using it for our legitimate interests
• The right to regulate any automated decision-making and profiling of personal data You have a right not to be subject to automated decision making in way that adversely affects your legal rights
Where you have provided consent to our use of your data, you also have the unrestricted right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent means that we will stop processing the data that you had previously given us consent to use. There will be no consequences for withdrawing your consent. However, in some cases, we may continue to use the data where so permitted by having a legitimate reason for doing so, including information of direct relevance to your membership – such as details of the AGM and renewal requests.
Right of complaint
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about any aspect of how we are handling your data with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office, which can be contacted at www.ico.org.uk.
We may make changes to this statement from time to time. If we change our privacy statement we will post the changes on the SCS website.
Your acceptance of this statement
By using our sites, apps or social media pages, or by registering to join SCS, receive our newsletters, or by booking for any of our events you consent to our collection and use of information in accordance with this statement.
How to contact us
If you wish to contact us about your personal data or exercise any of the rights described above, please email Rosemary Pemberton (Secretary) email@example.com