Salisbury River Park Project
The Salisbury River Park is the centrepiece of the Salisbury Central Area Framework and is a collaborative project between Wiltshire Council and the Environment Agency to reduce flood risk to various areas in the city, to provide environmental improvements and opportunities for biodiversity, to improve leisure and recreation and to support the regeneration of the Maltings and Central Car Park area. It will be transformational and provide a lasting legacy for future generations.
The Salisbury River Park will deliver a green infrastructure link through the centre of the city, incorporating the rivers that run through The Maltings and Central Car Park at its core, extending to the Ashley Road/Fisherton Recreation Ground to the north, and towards Elizabeth Gardens to the south.
The outcomes being sought through the delivery of the Salisbury River Park are:
- To reduce flood risk on the Maltings and Central Car Park site and enable strategically important redevelopment of the central car park.
- To reduce flood risk to existing residents and businesses in central Salisbury and the Ashley Road area.
- To improve and enhance the internationally designated habitat and ecology of the River Avon watercourse and its margins.
- To create new and improved spaces for public enjoyment of the river and dwell time in the city centre, in line with the endorsed Masterplan for the Maltings and Central Car Park.
- To build climate change resilience, in response to the climate emergency.
The council, with support from the Environment Agency, Salisbury City Council and the Swindon and Wiltshire Local Economic Partnership have prepared the Salisbury River Park Masterplan which sets out guiding principles for development of the Salisbury River Park to be delivered in phases over the coming years. After public consultation and subsequent amendments made, the Salisbury River Park Masterplan was endorsed by the council’s Strategic Planning Committee on 14 July 2021. The Salisbury River Park Masterplan now forms a relevant material planning consideration to be taken into account when making decisions on planning applications on any proposals for the Salisbury River Park and the wider integrated zone. Follow the link to find out more https://bit.ly/3xhaC4Q